Eternal Love



By Prabalta Rijal


"Im sorry mam we found her pillow wet with tears.She has left us all," said a voice over the phone making me loose my grip and crash right on to the floor my knees turned weak and my breath got stuck in my throat but my mind drifted into thoughts of Sonja.


She always knew it would end this way she had known it all along. I still went to visit her everyday,I didn't want to give up on her and though she told me a long time ago that I shouldn't wait, I did because I just could not end it.



Its like even before it all happened she had known. She would always say it you know.."Hey if anything happens to me promise me that you guys wont let me live like a cabbage and will ask the doctors to end my life," she had told Drake and I, just a day before the incident.


I wish I had known that this was a sign,We had both shouted at her and told her that nothing would happen to her. She had just smiled at us didn't say a word about it. It was like Sonja somehow knew that something awful was going to happen.



Drake and Sonja had been high school sweet hearts and were totally made for each other. I have never in my life met a better suited couple. Drake had an athletic physique, dark brown hair and specs that made him look like Clark Kent--oh he was a hunk alright and totally charming. While Sonja had unmanageable curly blonde hair that flew in all directions, deep blue eyes that took you into the depths of her heart and though she was slightly on the chubby side her beautiful smile made up for the extra pounds here and there. Never the less she was the college heartthrob and I really mean it, there was no one who held a grudge against her.Somehow she just stole everyone's hearts.


Apart from their exceptional good looks and charming persona these two shared awesome understanding it was like they could read each others thoughts without having to say a word.We never heard them quarrel over anything, let alone raise their voices.



Just a day left till their wedding and we still had to pick up Sonja's wedding gown from the boutique and practice my speech for the reception dinner. Though I was her maid of honour I still hadnt written my speech.



That however was the least of my concerns at the moment and I could hear Sonja actually point that out in the background--she knew I was a last minute person. "I hope you have that speech prepared. Don't wait till the last moment Jane".


"I wont," I retorted, going back to hastily rechecking the shopping list I had just prepared."Okay lets go,Im done with the list," I said walking out the door.


I could see Sonja from the corner of my eyes as she hurriedly picked her jacket and followed me out.I had just crossed the street and was about to get into the car when I heard a massive screech behind me.


A grocery van which obivously was in full throttle had just come to a screeching halt and the driver was now screaming out obscene language at Sonja who was so busy on her phone that she didn't even realise the commotion she had just caused.


"You idiot! You nearly got yourself killed!" I blurted out unable to control my anger at her sheer carelessness while crossing the road. "Oh shut up ,"she retorted back all giggly....


"Ok so what did Drake say".


"Nothing he was just telling me about the wedding ring he bought."


"Oh thats the reason he nearly got his to-be-bride killed," I said.


I wish I hadnt said that though. Sonja went pale.


"You know, I dreamt that my wedding dress was drenched in blood last night," she said.


"Sonja stop nothing's going to happen to you".


"I saw Drake put me into an ambulance and I was there right behind him trying to talk to him but,he didn't see me".


"Oh stop now," I said laughing out loud," we have been watching too many episodes of the Extraordinary."


"It was just a dream influenced by last nights episode", I said in an effort to calm her down, but I felt cold chills run down my shoulder.


"Jane, seriously if something ever happens to me promise me you wont let me live like a cabbage and you will help me move on to the next dimension," Sonja said in a very shaky voice.


Somehow the dream had affected her and I brought the car to a halt and gave her a hug.


"Babe I know you are very nervous with the wedding and all.But don't let it get to you", I said, parking the car next to the boutique.


Sonja's eyes looked crystal blue as she stepped out of the car and into the shop.You could see waves of excitement in her oceanic deep blue eyes.


The strapless wedding dress flowed down her body,unlike the usual princess type of dresses this dress was more revealing and though it was layered it was made of pure satin and it hugged on to her in just the right places. it hid her flabby tummy without covering her awesome hips. It truly made her look like a fairy tale princess. Her long curly hair,deep blue eyes and that perfect smile could make any heart skip a beat. No matter how hard I try no words can describe how gorgeous she looked. My mouth actually dropped open.


Its been seven years since that day and I am still awed by the memory of it. Infact that is the most beautiful last memory of her.


We picked up the dress, got into the car put our favourite song on and sang along, while driving towards the furniture shop to order the last of her new furniture and that water bed that Sonja fell inlove with.


It was the most amazing bed we had come across very soft and...Wow....it felt like heaven sleeping on it, plus this particular one unlike the one I had was waveless so you got the comfort without the wavy turbulence below in cases of disturbances.


So after our dress and bed shopping we headed for lunch. I still had that speech to write so while we ordered our rosemary chicken with wild mushroom ravioli and a bottle of Pinot Gris to celebrate our eventful shopping,I took out my notebook and began to write.


Sonja was so excited about both the dress and the bed. "I cant wait to get back from my honeymoon," She was saying as I kept writing my speech. "Drake doesnt know it yet, he will go crazy when he realises I chose to buy it," she added, still mystified by the bed we had just ordered.


Our food arrived and surprisingly we just ate it all up in silence. The food tasted exceptional.

The wine went really well with the creaminess of the ravioli and we just sat there and devoured it until it was all gone and our plates looked spotless clean. Needless to say both Sonja and I loved Italian food.


Drake would be meeting us at the mall in about an hour so we casually paid the bill,got out took a stroll round the mall and window shopped for clothes we would never wear.Though we were loaded with cash we just decided not to buy extra stuff.


Clad in blue jeans and looking ravishing in his polo neck came Drake. Right on time too."Hey girls found something you liked"?


"Nah," we were just looking around Sonja blurted out, unable to take her eyes off Drake who looked like a model straight out of the ramp.


"Drake you look different," I exclaimed, now wishing I hadnt coz both of them burst out laughing.


"Okay what did u do," I demanded not believing that Sonja already knew.


"How come you guys didn't tell me that Drake would get a new look," I added now looking very closely to figure out what was different.


Drake wasn't wearing specs.It had been replaced by dark brown contacts.Making him look like a greek god.


"Oh wow...Clark Kent has has finally evolved into Superman," I commented finally figuring out why they both broke out into fits of laughter.It was so obvious yet I had missed it.


We had been friends for over two decades now, we practically grew up together. And it took me a while to realise that he wasn't wearing specs. "Gosh I didn't think it would take you so long," Drake pointed out playfully putting his arms round Sonja's shoulders and finally bending to kiss her.



"Guys cut it off will ya," I retorted now feeling awkward towards their public display of affection."Okay Im leaving. I still need to finish my speech," I said hastily putting the shopping list onto Sonja's hand and rushing off.


"Seeya tonight," I added before clambering down on to the elevator.We had just four hours to go before the rehearsal dinner and I still needed to write and memorise my speech.


Once I got home I hurriedly jotted down the final version of my speech.I had thought about it all the way home and I knew Sonja would like it.Because unlike the conventional speeches made during weddings my speech would consist of a photo presentation of all the beautiful moments we had shared over the span of twenty two years.


I had just gotten out of the shower and was about to get into my sleeveless beaded satin tiered cocktail dress,when my cell phone rang. The voice on the other side was Drakes,"Shes been shot, please get to the hospital".


"Drake what are you talking about,I can barely hear you,speak up will ya," I said concerned about what I thought I heard."Sonja's been shot," we are taking her to the hospital," Drake said in a very shaky voice.


"Hurry Jane she is in a critical state," he added.Not believing a single thing he said, my fingers started trembling. My knees went weak.Still unable to fully grasp what he was saying and grabbing my jacket as I hastily left the house dressed in nothing but my housecoat and a jacket over it I headed straight for the hospital.


By the time I reached there the doctors had already taken her into the operation theatre. After an hour or so the surgeon approached us,"Im sorry, though we have gotten the bullets out,she has sunk into a coma.Im afraid we can only hope for the best," he said.


Drake went pale, and as I reached out to hold him he collapsed on to the floor.His eyes were dry."This cant be happening we are getting married tomorrow," he whispered.


I could feel my heart go numb, I sat there right next to him unable to utter a word. My head hurt. I could see people kneel over us but could barely hear them.


"This isnt true,It cant be happening," I said finally getting up and dragging Drake onto his legs and into the ICU where they were keeping her.


She was in her wedding dress and it was drenched in blood. My head began to spin. "Sonja I know youu can hear me," get up darling,please get up."


Both Drake and I pleaded infront of her. She looked so quite, yet so beautiful. "please prinncess dont leave me," Drake pleaded sitting down next to her and gently kissing her forehead.


"What am I supposed to do without you.Please sweetheart, you know that I cant go on with out you," he pleaded now in tears and looking very pale. Tears now uncontrollably flowing out of our eyes.


Our princess who we both loved more than anything else was lying in front of us motionless and we sat there watching her peacefully asleep."Baby get up,please get up".


We were holding her hands telling her how much we needed her.Sonja and I had been friends since kindergarten. We were more like sisters than friends. Seeing her sleep motionless still in her wedding gown made my heart break I couldnt feel anything but numbness.


Why,Why her. "Why her Jane," Drake asked me exasperated. Now unable to cope with the numbness in my heart and the piercing pain in my chest I put my arms around Drake and burst out crying.


We spent the entire night by her side coaxing her to get up. I even read out my speech we had the hospital staff get us a projector and our friends got us the speech photo presentation I had prepared for their wedding. We ran around like mad hatters all night,but in vain.


We practically conducted the entire rehearsal dinner in the hospital that night,though the hospital staff was against it they didn't stop us.Like us they too were looking for a miracle.The doctor had already told us that our efforts were worthless because she could neither hear us,see us or sense our presence.She was lost in her own world.


For the next few months Drake and I never left her alone we were always with her turn by turn.We would take her for walks round the hospital premises in her wheel chair; read to her;eat lunch in her ward room.We were so into bringing her back that we completely forgot her last wish. She had never wanted to live this way.


From months our efforts continued to years, one year led to the next and the next to the next but we didnt give up hope.


Though we both loved her dearly, both Drake and I were getting wary of whether she would ever return.Slowly Drake's visits became infrequent he started to spend less time with her. Leaving me all alone with her.


I didnt really mind that, Sonja was my responsibility.My best friend and nobody could ever take her place in my heart and life.


I was reading to Sonja from her favourite novel 'The Note Book' a year back when,Drake walked into the room with April. "Hey Darling I want you to meet April,I know you will always want me to be happy and I sorry hun.I will always love you,but life has to go on," he said holding her hands and gently planting a kiss onto her forehead.


I could see tears run down his eyes as he stood up and left the room with April tagging behind him.

We both still loved her dearly but Drake had eventually moved on and after sixteen love affairs that ended badly he finally met is miss right. They had gotten engaged just yesterday.


I had told Sonja about it.I never hid anything from her, but now I wish I hadn't told her. The doctor had called to tell me this morning that Sonja had breathed her last,last night. And amazingly her pillow was wet with tears.


The Doctors had been wrong all along, she could hear us and sense us.She had seen Drake change and though she was unable to express her pain she witnessed it.We never realised that the only thing keeping her alive was her love for Drake, but now that he was committed to someone else she had no reason to go on and she had given up her seven-year-long fight for survival.


I killed my best friend, why hadnt I realised that the only thing that was keeping her alive was her love for Drake.Why had I told her that he now belonged to someone else? How could I have thought she would have wanted that for him.


I loved her but I was unable to bring her back to life and now I finally realise why she had wanted us to resort to mercy killing.Because she had known that she would die with a broken heart if Drake ever moved on.


And this is exactly what happened. She died in pain, she was so hurt that she could fight no more.She cried herself to death. Her hurt and pain flowing out with every last breath she took.Her fight was over,her Drake wasn't hers.


She felt betrayed and hurt.We didnt realise that she was fighting to stay with us.We somehow had moved on and left her stranded there all alone blocked in her own world. We had given up on her and we never saw how hard she had been trying to come back to us.
















Comments

  1. Palu, im impressed sanu.
    Timi timro novel sakau I want to read it aaba.You made me cry.

    god bless u sanu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi di....thank u soooo much im working on it....hehehe....glad i made u cry....hehehe.....
    love u di.tc and miss u tonnes planning to come see u guys soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts