A Morning of colours: A walk through Nar Devi


By Prabalta Rijal

As I walked through the narrow lanes of Nardevi I could see children bustling around like busy bees, kinda unsual because never at six a.m were they up and about...I know, because I pass through the lane every morning and its packed with street vendors pushing their trolleys up hill, you hardly find kids running around like they have a plane to catch.

Today was different children of all shapes and sizes were out and about in frenzy, I was still wondering why, when I heard " Oie haan... haan... haan", and even before  I could turn for cover, I was bombarded by little soldiers and their colourful hand grenades filled with paint.
"Happy Holi", they chanted after they had completely ambushed me and I was drenched in a variety of colours, my lovely pink Tee looked blue and green and red and purple. I had never been ambushed this way and though I was still dumbfounded I could hear them laugh in frenzy. I was their first victim and they were celebrating their victory.

Holy crap I muttered and walked away in fury, finally realising why they were bustling around like bees, only to be bombarded with more water balloons,I hate holi! I hate holi! I hate holi! I kept muttering under my breath.

I was cold and completely drenched by the time I reached new road I looked like I had fallen into a pool of paint. As I passed groups of people I could see them smile at me, a tourist walked up to me and said happy holi,to that I smiled and replied  thank you, same to u....
"We really want to play holi do you know where they are playing"? unable to keep my face straight I said,  " seriously.!!!ok, just go down the lane and turn towards Indrachowk you will find people playing there," I said half perplexed about why someone would want to get all drenched.

"You do know where Indra Chowk is right"? "yeah, yeah been here for about two weeks now so we know our way around," he said turning to the girls he was with. And by the time they thanked me and excitedly walked towards Indra Chowk, " I was giggling, they were in for a shock....I kept wondering how they would react to being bombarded and I had this real strong urge to go back and check,but I decided against it.

Their excitement caught me off guard and I was all smiley, I wasnt grumpy that my tee got ruined, I was giggling, yes the kids had totally ambushed me but, hey, its Holi! I mean today I can walk around looking like I fell into a numerous paint pools and people won't think I'm mad.

I suddenly realised, I had the freedom to look like an absolute fool and still be appreciated, it's the one time of the year that people don't judge you-- they appreciate you for who you are. The clothes you are wearing doesn't matter and everybody you meet is in a happy mood.

I was happy, I couldn't get this huge smile off my face. As I got into a micro to go home at NAC,I was feeling really bright. I love my morning walks and today's was exceptional. The little soldiers had made my day.

Happy Holi Everyone!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts